- What is FTP?FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol and it is the process used to
upload and download files from a web server. This is done using an FTP
- Do you recommend any FTP programs?
BulletProof FTP (Windows)
An excellent FTP program. If
you loose your connection during a transfer, BulletProof will remember
where you left off and continue continue with the session. A 30-day
trial version is available, but it's well worth $29.95 for the fully
Fetch (Mac) This is THE FTP client for Mac users.
Ipswitch's WS_FTP Pro 6.0 (Windows)
A 30-day trial
version is available
WS_FTP LE (Windows)
A free FTP client.
Magellan Explorer 2.0
A 30-day evaluation version is available
GlobalSCAPE's CuteFTP 4.0 (Windows)
Anawave Software's FTP Icon Connection v2.5
Allows you to set file permissions via FTP.
- What setup information do I need to use with my FTP program or the
FTP feature that is built into my web design application in order to
upload my files to the server?
password: your password
initial remote directory:
To help you with this, we have created some screen shot
examples of FTP setup info for a few popular FTP programs and web
design applications with a built-in FTP feature.
*** VERY IMPORTANT FTP INFO
In order to make sure tha you are accessing the public web directory
you need to set the intial path to your default directory in your FTP
application by entering the following exactly like this:
Another way to get to the public directory is when you login, go up
two directories and then down into the /web directory. This is where you
should upload your files. You know you are in the right directory if you
see the /stats sub-directory.
The reason for this setup is that the server allows each user to have
their own web space (http://domain.com/~username/ or
http://domain.com/users/username/) as well as a public web space for the
- Ok, I uploaded my files, but nothing is showing up when I try to
access my site using a browser?Here's a few possibilities:
- Double check that you uploaded your files to the public folder
which is two levels up from your initial user folder (see FTP info
- Make sure that you named your home (default) page index.html,
index.htm, home.html or home.htm.
- My FTP program is having problems connecting?
- Make sure that you have entered all the proper FTP setup
info for your site. This was provided in a setup email that we
sent you when your site become live on our server. Do not add a "ftp." before your domain name.
- Double check that your FTP program is set to access port number
- Verify that you currently have a connection to the internet and
that your ISP is not having any problems.
- When I upload my files to the server, why are they corrupted?
Make sure that your FTP application is set to automatically detect
ACSII or binary mode.
- How do I change the password for FTP access?FTP access is specific to each siteadmin. The password for a
siteadmin can be changed using your site